- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 15 ounce cans black- eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup soy, almond, or rice milk
Whipped Maple Butter
- 1/4 cup vegan butter at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
To make the southern skillet: In a large deep-sided skillet or pot, heat oil over medium heat and sauté onions and green peppers until soft. Add cauliflower and let cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt, and let cook a few more minutes.
Stir in the black-eyed peas, tomato sauce, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minute, or until cauliflower is for tender.
To make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a food processor and pulse for about 5 seconds. Add butter and pulse until mixture is the texture of coarse meal with a few larger butter lumps. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t melt. Add nondairy milk and pulse a few more times until combined. Do not overwork.
Either by hand or with a biscuit cutter, form biscuits to roughly 2 1/2 inches round and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden.
To make the whipped maple butter: Using an electric mixer, whip butter with maple syrup until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until serving.
To serve: Serve the black-eyed pea stew in a bowl with the quick biscuits and maple butter on the side.
Sourced from: Coscarelli, Chloe. “Southern Skillet Black-Eyed Peas with Quick Buttery Biscuits.” Chloe’s Kitchen.