- 1 large bunch kale torn into pieces
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, diced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Add the rinsed and dried kale to a bowl with a couple teaspoons of olive oil and salt. Mix well and then spread into a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy, rotating the pan halfway through.
Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with the broth, miso, nutritional yeast, garlic, cumin, salt, and lemon juice. Blend until completely smooth.
Preheat a saucepan over low heat and add the oil. Sauté the onion and jalapeño in the oil with a pinch of salt until soft. Add the blended cashew mixture and turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 5- 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the queso is hot and thickened.
To assemble, place a scoop of rice and beans in each bowl. Pour queso into each bowl and top with crispy kale, avocado, tomato, and cilantro.
Sourced from: Moskowitz, Isa Chandra. “Queso Blanco Bowl.” Isa Does It.