Serves 6 | 30 minute prep/cook
For the soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped broccoli stalks and florets
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Garnishes: chopped tomatoes, red onions, and sprouts
For the cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil. Sauté the onion in the oil with a pinch of salt just until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the broccoli, carrots, turmeric, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
In the meantime, drain the cashews and place in a blender along with the broth, miso, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
When the carrots are tender, add the cashew mixture to the soup. Let simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
Serve garnished with tomatoes, red onion, and sprouts.
Sourced from: Moskowitz, Isa Chandra. “Cheddary Broccoli Soup.” Isa Does It.