Serves 4 | 30 minute cook | 30 minute prep
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- vegan sour cream (recipe in the post “Fiesta Potato Crisps”)
- chopped green onions
- fresh cilantro
In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and stir.
Add the jalapeño, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for another 5-7 minutes, until softened.
Add the can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), broth, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Increase heat to medium-high.
Add the drained and rinsed beans, along with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, cayenne, and hot sauce. Simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10- 15 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
Serve with vegan sour cream, green onions, cilantro leaves, and avocado if desired.
Sourced from: Liddon, Angela. Oh She Glows.