20 minute prep/cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup peeled carrots in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup green beans trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mellow white or yellow miso
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
Preheat a large pot over medium heat and the oil. Sauté the onion in the oil with a pinch of salt until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower and green beans, along with the broth and pepper. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook with the lid slightly ajar so steam can escape for about 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
Add the kidney beans and miso and stir to dissolve the miso. Once dissolved, taste for seasoning. Add the scallions and serve.
Sourced from: Moskowitz, Isa Chandra. “Chunky Miso Vegetable Soup.” Isa Does It.