Serves 2- 4 | 1 hour cook/prep
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or thyme, chopped (or 1 tablespoon italian seasoning)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion and/or shallot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mirin (or you can use white wine with a pinch of sugar)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, place the carrot, squash and seasoning. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until soft but not mushy.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the stock and wine and heat until simmering.
In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and rice and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the rice starts to toast.
Add 1 cup of the simmering broth mixture to the rice and cook, stirring continuously, until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Continue adding the broth 1 cup at a time, cooking until absorbed after each addition, until all of the broth is gone.
Add the almond milk, tahini, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and mirin and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the roasted vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.