Serves 2- 4 | 30 minute prep/cook
- 1/4 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- olive oil for sautéing
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, minced (seeds removed)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cook or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
On a plate, combine the flour and cornmeal.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, jalapeño, bell peppers, garlic and oregano until onion is translucent. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mash black beans. Stir in onion/pepper mixture along with corn, bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, salt and parsley. Mix well.
Shape into patties and coat each with the flour/cornmeal.
Fry in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until browned on both sides.