Serves 2- 4 | 20 minute prep | 45 minute bake
- 8 manicotti shells
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or combination of basil, oregano and thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup olie oil
- 8 ounces firm or extra firm tofu
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup diced purple onion
Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly oil a square baking pan.
Cook the manicotti noodles until they are al dente (careful not to overcook).
Prepare the sauce by combining the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, half of the spinach, half of the garlic, the yellow onion, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and olive oil in a large bowl.
Prepare the filling by mashing together the tofu and cream cheese. Fold in the red onion and half of the garlic and spinach.
Cover the bottom of the pan with 1 inch of sauce. Stuff the manicotti shells with the filling and add them to the pan. Cover them with the remaining sauce.
Cover the pan with foil, sealing the edges and bake on the top shelf for 45 minutes.
Sourced from: “Dianne’s Famous Manicotti.” Vegan Daily Companion.