Serves 8 | 20 minute prep | 30- 35 minute bake
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other light oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rice milk or other plain or vanilla vegan milk
Preheat oven to 350.
Place the cranberries in a food processor and pulse on and off until evenly and finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add the sugar, stir well and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Make a well in the center and add the applesauce, syrup, oil and vanilla. Stir until the wet and dry ingredients are completely combined, but don’t over mix.
Stir in the cranberries and carrots into the batter. Pour into a lightly oil 9 inch round cake pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
While baking, toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat until they brown lightly.
To make the icing, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
Once the cake has cooled to room temperature, spread the frosting evenly over the top and sprinkle with walnuts.
Sourced from: Voisin, Susan. “Cranberry- Carrot Cake with Maple- Cream Cheese Frosting.” Vegan Holiday Kitchen.