Serves 2- 4 | 30- 45 minute prep/cook time
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons italian herbs of your choice (basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, etc.)
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into strips OR 1/2 cup non oil packed, soaked in boiling water until soft
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 can great white northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach
- zest of 1 lemon
Cook the rice according to the package.
Once the rice is finished, heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the herbs, tomatoes and pine nuts. When the pine nuts start to turn golden brown, add the beans. Toss gently, keeping the beans whole.
Add the salt and vinegar and stir gently. Turn the heat down to low.
Place spinach in a one layer on top of the beans. Place the hot rice over the spinach and leave until the spinach starts to wilt. Mix gently and taste. Add more vinegar if needed.
Grate lemon zest on top and serve.
Sourced from: Ulm, Lauren. “Italian Rice and Beans.” Vegan Yum Yum.