Serves 2- 4 | 20 minute prep | 50 minute cook
- whole wheat pastry flour (amount depends on how much eggplant you have)
- soy milk (amount depends on how much eggplant you have)
- italian bread crumbs (amount depends on how much eggplant you have)
- 1 eggplant, peeled, sliced 1/4- 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 5- 7 ounces of whole wheat spaghetti, cooked al dente
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh basil
- pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place pastry flour, milk and bread crumbs into three SEPARATE bowls.
Bread eggplant slices by first dredging in pastry flour, then milk, then bread crumbs.
Place the breaded slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until brown, turning once halfway through.
Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Layer with eggplant slices, then another 1/2 cup of sauce. Top with remaining eggplant slices and cover with remaining marinara sauce.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350.
Meanwhile, boil spaghetti according to package. Drain.
In the empty spaghetti pot, add butter and garlic. Cook on low for 2- 3 minutes. Add basil and spaghetti back to pot. Mix, turn off heat and cover, letting sit until eggplant is done.
Serve eggplant over spaghetti.
Sourced from: Campbell, Leanne. “Eggplant Bake.” The China Study Cookbook.